Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On a lighter note....

Ha! Literally! 'Cause I just ordered (and recieved in two days) a pair of Industry Nine wheels. I rode a pair at Collegiate Nationals back in '04 and fell in love with their responsive handling and have oggled them from afar since then. I think the colors are silly, but they certainly don't supress the function at all. They're light, bomb-proof, technologically innovative (www.industrynine.net, let them tell you about their wheels...) have the best free-hub sound on the market, and they're locally grown here in Asheville.

Anyway, I finally bought a wheelset of my very own, mainly because of one shitty race and the realization that I quit running everyday for this (relatively) high-paying job, where I work 10 hour days and now have four figures in my checking account, finally. And if I'm going to give up running, hells yes I'm going to use the stupid money I'm making on stuff for my bicycle. Rice and beans (or lately, animal crackers and beer...) every night is good enough, especially when you come home after 4.5 hour rides on your new I-9's.

They're awesome. I want to go ride through every rock garden ever right now, take then off drops, do some precision techie-handling, some steep saddle-up-your-butt climbs, and coast through the parking lot at the trailhead to listen to the free hub. But three hours of that today was perfect for whetting my route-planning and implementation all over Pisgah the next couple days. And then their first race on Sunday at Clemson...can't wait!

I'm also excited to have brakes that work. I swapped out some ceremic rim brakes (they were good while they lasted, but the rims are chipped to high-hell now and then I realized only Europeans still use rim brakes) for some Juicy Sevens. Seven being the best number in the world and me having a good job now, I figured these were the appropriate upgrade.

But like Ryan Fisher always said, "What do you need brakes for? They only slow you down."

No comments: