Wednesday, July 2, 2008

This is the end.

Lucero is my current band of choise. I can't listen to The Avett Brothers anymore because they remind me of the wrong things and I can't listen to John Prine, because he sings about love too much. But Lucero sounds like they drank too much whisky before they started playing, and I either listen to it and go, "tell it to me, brother..." or "well, at least I'm not that down and out." Usually the former, but that's me being a whiner. Anyway, pertinent song of the moment is "Hold me Close" a bit of which goes like this:

Smoke and the wine and the whisky don't mix
Shaking so bad, think I'm gonna be sick
But another Scotch as I head to the door
Now it won't make me better
But I wanna make sure
---
I feel the cold ground underneath my boots
for no good reason it reminds me of you
Never made good though I tried and I tried.
So I turn back around,
and I walk inside.
Now hold me close
I love you more than you know
Now hold me close
I love you more than you know
And that won't make things right.
It's a lot more effective when you hear the song, of course. Writing songs out poetry style always makes the lyrics seem so cheesy, unless you're writing out an Arlo Guthrie song, in which case its amazing.
I'll write more about things that really matter later, like bikes and Fraser Magnolias. But it seems like for the past two weeks I haven't thought about a single thing while riding. Sort of like the emotional equivalent of tunnel vision. At the end of 2 or 3 hours, I'm amazed I made it back to where I started, suprised I apparently held my line well enough to either not crash into a tree or get hit by a car, and that I somehow knew where I wanted to ride beforehand, because there was no real conscious thought between the start of the ride on the end. It's kinda cool, but also kind of scary. It gets to be 8:30 at night, and somehow I wind up on my back porch. Today in the middle of my ride I remember thinking, "What the hell bridge is this? Oh, I'm here now? Oh." And that was about it. I don't know what happened the rest of the time.
So anyway, I don't know what I'd say about bikes besides that. I'm apparently riding them still, but I don't know what's going on while riding. My head's somewhere else, it would seem.

No comments: